Monitoring & Evaluation Reference Group (MERG)
- Reference documents
- Dr Abdisalan Mohamed Noor (Wellcome Trust)
View Dr Abdisalan Mohamed Noor's short biography
Dr Richard Cibulskis (WHO/GMP)
- Working Group Secretariat:
- Jui Shah
- RBM Secretariat Focal point:
- Dr Eric Mouzin
Tel.: +41 22 791 2026
- Next meeting:
MERG Task Forces:
- Mortality trends
- Morbidity Indicators
- Indicator and Data
sources task force
- Capacity Building
- Economic Impact of Malaria
Purpose / Rationale:
The purpose of the MERG is to facilitate alignment of partners on strategies and 'best practice' for developing effective systems to monitor and evaluate malaria control programmes. It also identifies emerging research questions and needs related to the implementation of M&E initiatives and communicates these to appropriate partners.
Functions of the Working Group:
Convene: the MERG brings together a group of individuals from institutional partners who are well versed in the science of M&E as well as the programmatic needs and implications to advise on, and advocate for, improved M&E of the RBM Initiative.
Co-ordinate: by bringing the Partners together, gives a forum for the Partners to co-ordinate their efforts in M&E. Key functions:
- Supporting coordination/harmonization of M&E activities (data collection, analysis, dissemination) among the partners,
- Identifying and prioritizing critical action steps for country, regional and global M&E work to assure that action is taken by the relevant group(s) to achieve quality M&E in a timely fashion
- Identifying critical bottlenecks arising from M&E activities and organizing smaller Working Groups to address the questions and provide recommendations on issues
- Promote operational research to support evidence-based, efficient programme implementation and the use of M&E tools.
- Identifying and recommending strategies for addressing the needs for capacity building in M&E at all levels
- Developing and maintaining consensus around M&E strategies across partners and institutions
- Developing and providing technical guidance on selection and definition of indicators for national, inter-country and global reporting
- Providing technical guidance on appropriate data collection methods, analytic strategies, and dissemination of recommendations
- Monitoring changing needs for M&E as country programs, and the RBM Initiative itself, develop further
Facilitate Communication: by bringing Partners together, the MERG is a forum for communication and mutual learning. Key functions:
- Advising the RBM Board on appropriate monitoring frameworks for RBM initiatives Keeping RBM partners informed of developments within their institutions and other initiatives that are relevant for M&E work.
- Informally advocating for increased attention to and resources for monitoring and evaluation activities within the RBM Secretariat and the members' home institutions
- Other activities pertinent to M&E as requested by the RBM Board.
For further information, please refer to the MERG Revised Terms of Reference adopted in January 2014 following the 25th RBM Partnership Board meeting.
More info: MERG on docs.google.com